Being stopped by the police can be a worrying experience but it’s important to stay calm, be cooperative and remember your legal rights.
Have I been arrested?
If the police stop you and do not let you leave then you have been arrested.
What should I do if I am arrested?
If you are arrested:
- DO NOT argue with the police. Cooperate.
- DO NOT resist.
- DO NOT swear at the police. Be nice.
- Give the police your name and address
- Give the police your ID if you have it. If you do not have it, say “I’m sorry, officer, I do not have any ID on me.”
- DO NOT answer any other questions. Say “I would like to help but my lawyer, Mr Savic, has told me not to answer any questions before I talk with him.”
- DO NOT sign anything
- ASK: “Why am I being arrested officer?”
- ASK: “Am I going to get bail?”
- ASK: “Can I call my lawyer, Mr Savic?”
Download our handy roadside guide
All this can be a lot to remember, especially when you’re doing your best to stay calm and collected. That’s why we’ve created this handy image you can download to your phone’s photo gallery to keep with you.
On iPhone: long press on the image, and then tap ‘Save Photo’
On Android: long press on the image, then tap ‘Download Image’
On your computer right now? Scan this code to open this page on your mobile.